Monday, January 19, 2009

sunrise...sunset

My days are ridiculously long. Having to maximize my day is essential for my training and I suppose for my happiness. Most people know the unhappyness that work brings into the picture. So using my day to the fullest is important to me. Friday, alarm set for 5:55am. This is Tigger, Katrina's cat looking into our living room. I was waiting for Nikee to pick me up for the Friday First Light swim at the cove. 57 degrees at the pier, which makes it about 54 right in the cove. burr. headache. cold. burr. But it was clear and crisp. I could see the bottom all the way out to the buoy. Pannikin for sure. After work I met Stephen at Vertical Hold, the other San Diego climbing gym where we put in a good session.
Saturday we rode to Del Mar for the Tri Club ride. Holy sprinting! We stayed with the lead group the entire way to Oceanside. Crazy riders...sprinting off stoplights, "coasting" at 24mph, stand up hill climbs, and running stop signs (which I won't do after hearing of a friend's ticket). We opted for a more leisurley 21mph pace on the way back. After some delicious frozen yogurt at Red Mango we headed back to Solana and switched bikes. I rode the 58cm Bianchi fixie. Seat lowered all the way. I had to stand on my tip toes to clear the top tube...this will be an interesting ride. Rode to Torrey Pines High school for a tennis match. Mind you, that's up Del Mar Heights Rd from the 101. Steep hill. 1 gear. Yeah, I had to walk it. But I somehow made it the rest of the ride praying for my life on the downhills and pedaling hard on the uphills. The tennis match was fun and we got some sandwiches before heading back for the sunset. I put on my wetsuit and headed down to Fletcher Cove for an evening swim. 200 strokes out (once I got past the breakers) and 100 backstroke/100 freestyle on the way back, with the sun shining on my face. Stephen took these great shots of my exiting the water. I heart ocean swimming.
Sunday was a lazy day. French toast and bacon and then it was bike cleaning time. We broke out the tooth brush and Dawn dishsoap and went to town on our cassettes. Shiny! hurray! Sunday evening brought another Fletcher sunset swim. Beautiful.

1 comment:

Nikee Pomper said...

Seriously, is there ANY place in the world better than San Diego? Killer weekend!

I love the sunset photo

I finally got the ticket for blowing through the stop sign. The damage: $189!!!