Friday, May 22, 2009

Virtual Scrapbooking

I'm a scrapbooker. I have 4 huge books that go all the way back to right around 8th grade. One is dedicated entirely to my senior year of college. Currently I'm into the 5th book; and progress is slow. With email, facebook, and now my blog of almost 1 year, my creative time is minimal. Oh yeah training and working... those tend to get in the way as well. Nice weather all winter? That doesn't really give me motivation to sit inside (with poor posture) and pop out some pages. Not that I'm complaining. I love San Diego, but I just feel like I've been neglecting something that is important to me. It was pretty easy back in Minnesota on those cold winter blizzardy days to camp out on the floor and create [a big mess]. We have a long weekend coming up, and I have plenty planned, but with the boy off to Italy, I'll have more time to myself. I may just have to break it out.

Anyway, this blog has been a nice organization of pictures, and thoughts. With scrapbooking, I usually don't write a lot about the actual event, and let the pictures do the talking. Here, I have the freedom to express my thoughts and report on my activities. Although I write in 1st person, this blog was started for me, not really caring about the intended audience. I like going back and reading my old posts, learning from my mistakes, reliving the adventures.

Where am I going with this? I just dropped $27 on that picture above. Ridiculous right? Not really. I got a quality picture of me on my bike in my first half ironman. Leading the race. Killing it, yet happy as can be. My biggest worry right there? "Stick to your nutrition plan... drink more... you are on what lap? you should have 1 bottle down by now... keep pushing."

My biggest worry now? "When are you going to be like that again? Pushing without being scared. Pushing without pain." Uh, there is always pain, as there was in that race, but now it's different. and I know only rest will cure it. I'm impatient. I want to run. I want to be better.

That picture is my desktop background. It's motivation to get back to it. It's to knowing that I can and will be back. This season isn't even close to over. A little over 2 weeks till my next race...hopefully I'll be racing. A little over 2 weeks till the Pink Lady reunion back in MN. Looking forward to two short weeks in a row! Yes! SDIT at the end of June, thinking about Solana Beach tri in July, Pendelton in August and SOMA half to end my season and kick off my Ironman training in October. Club races, cove swims, long rides with Stephen A as he prepares for IMAZ in November. Ah, this summer's outlook is great...and I don't foresee much time for scrapbooking. :)

There's something you can't do on paper. Ben Folds concert last night at the House of Blues downtown was awesome. The split audience participation on "Not the Same" rocked my socks off. He played some old, played some new. Hammering on that piano all evening. Neatest sound? He placed Altoid tins on the piano strings for a techno/nintendo-esk sound. So cool.

No comments: