Tuesday, October 23, 2012

anniversaries


Happy two year anniversary to my husband. Kyle, you are my sherpa, my friend and my lover. It is you who brings a smile to my face and a light to my day. Even when you are far, you are close in my heart.

We celebrated with quick trip to LA and a nice dinner at 3rd Corner in OB. Riding the tandem of course. Sad I didn't get a pick of us all dressed up but we did get one of the 2010 cabernet to celebrate. He was out to sea on our actual anniversary on the 16th; such is the life of a Navy wife. 

we chose the wine based on
1) the year {2010}
2) the label art {gears}
it was actually delicious.
After work on Saturday the 13th we drove up to LA and stayed at a campground in Bonelli Park. Had some poptarts for a bedtime snack and crashed as we were up early for a morning of racing! He dropped me off at the park entrance for the Bonelli Olympic Distance Triathlon and he was off to Dominguez Hills for 2 criterium upgrade races. Check out his video.

I also celebrated my 4 year anniversary of my first Olympic distance race. Pumpkinman was an interesting journey and it's fun to look back. Bonelli is a very grassroots triathlon, no frills and no porta potties...not kidding. I don't think they were prepared for the increase in participants this year, but for once it paid off to be a girl, as all the bathrooms had 3 stalls for the women and only 1 for the men. :) No assigned racks left me finding a sweet spot at the edge of the bike in/out area {less time running with the bike = better} and laid out my sioux girl towel, shoes and helmet and I was off to the start.


Not surprising, the race started late. They didn't allow anyone in the water after the first wave went off, so my warmup was nil. 10 min later and the 1 and only ladies wave was off. 200 yards out and I was alone. 400 yards out and I started passing men from the wave that started 5 min ahead. And that's the story of the swim. The lake was "dirty" but not disgusting. It actually tasted like plain water. Just a bit muddy.

Got out in 22ish min, not happy with the swim but not disappointed. Ran up a hill to transition and took my sweet time to get my shoes on and onto my bike, and a girl passed me. I never saw her again.

The bike course is 3 loops around the park. After heading out of transition you climb a short hill, head over an interstate and turn right for a very long and fast descent. The rest was short climbs and turns and some flat areas and a final climb back into the park and back up towards transition. Albeit unsafe at parts due to the partially open roads and lack of volunteers {I saw 1 volunteer on the entire course, and the rest were traffic controllers/state patrolmen} the course was a blast. Loop two had a bit of a crazy start as there was a car on the course and bikes were going on all sides of it and the traffic controllers had lost control. No frills = no aid stations. I had 1 aero bottle 28oz of water and one 24oz bottle with 250 calories of gatorade and 1 vanilla gu.  2:16, which I felt was pretty respectable with the lack of training and the significant amount of climbing on the course.

aero dork
Heading into transition the temp was starting to get brutal. Luckily a good portion of the run course was on trail that was shaded. Plenty of aid stations along the course {I think 6 within the 6.2 miles} with just water. Felt alright on the run. Flats and downs were good and any type of incline had me almost walking. I have ZERO strength right now and am working on this base, but after only 2 weeks of training I had ZERO expectations. And I was pleasantly surprised.

yeah finished. why do i do this again?
Struggled through but managed a 52, and I'll take it. Finished and saw Kyle waiting for me so we could book it out of there and get me back to San Diego for work. :( We went back to the campsite to teardown and actually headed back to the race site for the podium shot and got on the road.

Won my AG and the results say 3rd OA, but I'm pretty sure I was 4th. Congrats to the husband for a top 10 finish and more racing experience.

superfast san diego peeps. 
Another year married. Another race under my belt. keep on keeping on.

{happy birthday to a faithful reader - my father! - excited to see you soon!!}

1 comment:

sports fan said...

Hi, nice post. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back and I would be happy to give you our link.

Thanks!

Frank
frank641w@gmail.com