Tuesday, October 2, 2012

ready, set.

So here I am. Week 1. I had a little head start last week [well, skipping the running bit] with a couple bikes and a swim at the Superfrog Triathlon on Sunday. You may have heard, Lance was there. I got asked to be on a relay a day before, and sure, why not?! Oh yeah, remember last year, when I had that near drowning experience and came up laughing. It can't be that bad, right?

Nah, it was fun. After barely finding my relay members in time to gather the swim cap and timing chip I was off to the beach. A friendly hi to the Eternal Timing dudes who work at the Tri Classic and a bit of a warmup [potty stop] and back to the start line. 3, 2, 1 off with the elite/relay wave. Nothing like 6' waves to greet you! Love Coronado. I was dolphin diving right behind super swimmer Erin, and after that first wave she was no where to be found. As I was swimming I looked over and saw Keith walking and adjusting his orange goggles. It was rather comical, as he was keeping up. After that, I was alone. Not sure how this happens on a .6 mile, two loop course, but I can never seem to find feet that are my speed. A couple more crashing waves, some darker than others and I was out to the turn buoy. Started back in and I saw coach Scott from the Mission Valley Y Masters swimming without goggles - that sucks! Tried unsuccessfully to catch a wave, but at least I didn't get pummeled like Frank [who got tossed so hard into the ocean floor that the impact broke his toe - epic.] Sun was shining and I was wearing non tinted, clear goggles. Awesome sauce. Got out of the water and ran the beach to start the 2nd lap. I was also made [in]famous by slowtwitch.com


Red caps were positioned and ready, and after some heckling from Steve, Frank and Jake I "ran" back into the water as 3, 2, 1 go - their wave started. Double awesome sauce - young boys running me down as I enter the water for my 2nd loop much slower.

beautiful waves.
I found myself way right of the turn buoy as there was a bit more current. I didn't over correct, but made it to the turn, again alone. Turned back towards shore, and what do you know, I see coach Scott again. This time I managed to catch a wave. And I caught this wave like I've never caught one before. I was in the perfect spot and caught it at the right time. Wow. So. Much. Fun. I was dolphining through, in, and on top of that wave - smiling with a bit of a fear, and actually breathing with my head out of the water. The wave took me into shore saving quite a bit of time. Ran into transition and passed off my chip to my relay biker.

The rest of the day I hung out with friends cheering for other friends racing. Kyle had duty on Saturday, so he rode over when he got off in the morning on Sunday. Was super impressed with everyone's performances. Frank managed to bike pretty hard, but withdrew from running cause he knew something was up with his toe. Karen finished her first half, Erin killed it as a super swimmer _ runner for 2 different relays. Jake won his AG even after a hilarious bike handling incident involving a cone and obnoxious friends screaming. Funny pics, but I wish we had that on video, for Erin Merz's viewing pleasure. Lots of awesome times posted by TCSD folks, and Beth's stellar win. Oh yeah, and that Lance guy too.
kyle photo bombing Lance Armstrong @ Superfrog Tri
Monday was a masters swim. Today was a horrible GWL that I don't want to talk about, and I have to back that up with a run this evening. Kyle is gone for a bit; up to San Fran for Fleet Week. I hate it when he's gone, but it probably was good timing, as I attempt to find structure in my new training schedule.

Oh yeah, holy #indiansummer! Temps are crazy out here, and I hate to say this, but I'm actually looking forward to putting on arm/leg warmers this winter. All in all, I feel lucky to call San Diego home.

2 comments:

jake said...

That wasn't a bike handling incident, I was distracted and the cone was in my way.

Nice job to you on your swim! I got off course at the first buoy on the first lap not realizing there was a second one straight out. Crap.

Heather said...

Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com