Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Happy 4 Years

I moved to San Diego a little over 4 years ago. I signed up for my first triathlon and started this blog to "remember my journey" and hopefully learn a bit along the way. In some respects, the time has gone by so fast, it seems like just yesterday I was lying in my studio in OB getting the nervous butterflies trying to fall asleep the night before my first triathlon [with my timing chip already on my left leg.] In another sense, so much has happened since then, it feels like a lifetime ago. So we'll just agree, it feels like 4 years ago.

I got an entry from TCSD to the Spring Sprint on Wednesday before the race. Volunteering for the JCC swim program for the last 4 years has it's perks. :) And yeah, I like racing on a whim. No planning or nerves. Just straight racing. The Sprint Sprint (super sprint) was my first triathlon, on May 4, 2008. Two years later, I finished St. George on May 1, 2010. And now, 2 years post IM, I'm back at the spot where it all started.

Local races; no fluff, but being within biking distance of my house is awesome. "Late" wake up for triathlon standards at 5:45am and Kermit and I were off in the streets of OB with the still drunk or homeless [or both] with the aero helmet and transition bag. I'm pretty sure I was the "what doesn't belong with the others" in this picture.

I'm famous; okay not really, but working at a bike shop and being the face of the racing scene for the last 3 years = I know a lot of triathletes. Or, a lot of triathletes know me. I've been bike fitting for over two years and have met a lot of people through the JCC swim program I volunteer for. Anyway, this equates to a lot of chit-chatting and not a lot of setup or warmup. Oh well, it's just a local race and it's a time when I get to catch up with people I haven't seen in a while [probably since the last race.]

Swim; uneventful. Not many events can happen in a 400yd swim. Goal was to hit the edge of the water before the next wave of boys started after me. Success.

Bike; uneventful. What can happen in 9 miles? Apparently I didn't ride hard enough. By the time I felt good I was already heading off Fiesta Island back to transition.

Run; held on just long enough to not have my hip and quad totally screaming at me. Uneventful, but painful. Finished and I felt like I didn't push enough.

Sprints; are tough! It's a constant struggle to stay at threshold. Going over and you'll blow up. Going under and you'll feel like you could have went harder. Managing that line is difficult as I have an attention and focus issue no matter how much self talk I do. "oh look, a dolphin. Oh look, an idiot racer riding on the left. Hmm, what am I going to eat at brunch today?" and so on...

I won my AG by 6 min and was 2nd overall. My good friend Erin "man'd up" and raced elite and beat me by 40 seconds. My friend Ryan beat me in the swim, bike and run, but I beat him by 4 seconds in the race. Gotta love transitions...they are a part of the race!

I remember my only goal in my first triathlon was to run the entire 1.5 miles. At Ironman I wanted to finish with a smile on my face, and run the entire 26.2 miles. This race was much of the same. I was at the end of my running for a month goal and my legs were dead. Making it through the run was a serious goal.

So May has been a crazy month. I took some time off for Annie's bachelorette party and wedding. [which was gorgeous btw] And we were the age group race directors for the big ITU race that was in town. [two weeks of hell, and a 71 hour work week right before my vacation to MN.] Trying to get the final touches on the new road bike and San Diego International is in a month. Eeek! I thought I was going to train for this race for once.

Happy four years, San Diego! I'm enjoying the journey and I love where I live.

No comments: