Monday, April 1, 2013

Tape {Errr}

5:41 (50min after pro start). Slowest half to date.

I'm not really sure where to start with this Oceanside 70.3 race report, so here it goes. I finished. With a smile on my face. My journey to that finish line was one I wouldn't like to repeat, and it's not necessarily about lessons learned this time.

I suppose I'll start with this. I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in college. I'll spare the details, but it wasn't pretty. Scopes, colonoscopies, and too many visits to the gastroenterologist, I was finally able to move past the pain and flares and learn how to control the frequency. There is no exact cause or cure, so no use worrying about that stuff. It came down to stress, spicy foods, and Crystal Light.

Fast forward to two weeks ago. I had ZERO energy. I couldn't motivate myself to get out of bed to ride, run or swim. I had less of an appetite. I couldn't focus. Work has been super busy, so all my energy and focus has been diverted to making it through the day and being as productive as possible. I knew I wasn't over trained as I hadn't been reaching my potential with weekly mileage/time and running was severely cut since Carlsbad half. And then I remembered all these feelings and this pain.

And I knew it was back.

Last Monday I had a pre-op appointment for the tonsils. All the useless paperwork signing for anesthesia. I felt like crap when I woke up. I couldn't eat. I went home after that appointment and had to take a nap. I emailed my doctor and they called 40 min later and told me to go to the ER to see the gastro. I was in quite a bit of pain, so I went. And I sat and waited. And was there for 8 hours. Got some pain medication, which I don't like and I hate doing. I wasn't asked to give a stool sample when I got there or at any point until the end of the evening, after the pain meds which make me not able to go. I left with a fever and walking out I puked up the half of banana and apple juice in the parking lot. I slept like crap. I was angry at the system and mad at myself for taking the medication. Tuesday I went to the gastro and got a scope and they told me it takes 1-2 weeks to get the results.

Wednesday I was back to work and had a full schedule with three bike fit appointments and there were only 2 of us at the shop. Thursday and Friday were spent standing at the Oceanside expo for work in the Zipp booth for 10+ hour days.

Yeah, the taper wasn't looking so hot.

Since my body wasn't interested in me getting to the finish line, I knew my mind was going to have to work overtime. Race report to follow...

{tonsillectomy tomorrow, so it may be a minute for the RR}

Endless thanks to my husband {sherpa} for his love and care through all this crap. He has made getting through this much easier. Sometimes I give him a hard time {okay, a lot of time} but I truly couldn't do this without him. {even if I did call him the worst sherpa ever for posting himself at the bottom of a hill on the bike to take pics...seriously?}

why are you here and not there? :) #hungoversherpa

No comments: