Monday, August 4, 2014

Semper Tri {then & now}

Back in 2008, the Camp Pendleton sprint was the first race I picked and registered for after moving to San Diego. I ended up racing Spring Sprint and a couple of TCSD club races in the meantime, but this race brings me back to my newbie days of triathlon. 2014 was the first time I came back, and I'm not sure why I waited so long. This is a very well run, organized event, on a great course and you get to run over a LCAC at the end! I snagged a free entry at a TCSD club meeting for knowing what LCAC is an acronym for {Landing Craft Air Cushioned}.

My race report will be a then/now on my feelings throughout the race.

PreRace
Then: I remember thinking how cool it was that they let us onto a military base. Now: Been there, done that, military wife. Then: Super wowed by the vast LCAC area, structure, launch ramp. Now: Still wowed. Then: Setup transition, and would've panicked had this years turn of events sprung upon me. Now: My wetsuit leg ripped open as I was putting it on. Like a serious hole, through the lining, across the entire front of my upper thigh. Ugh, not good. Was chatting with friends when this happened, and I was like, "Well, I don't have to wear my wetsuit bottoms, and maybe I'll just wear the top." My tri top isn't the greatest swimming top and would've caused a significant amount of drag. My shorts are a couple of seasons old now, and not sure they would've stayed on with the surf conditions. Okay, duct tape maybe? I went to the announcer's stand and surprisingly the guy had a bin of supplies and as I saw the grey roll, I knew I was in business. I put a couple strips on the inside to hold it together and then wrapped it around my entire thigh to make sure the water didn't wash it off. Seemed to be holding so I got in the water for a bit of a warmup. Got back out for the swim start, and the makeshift, ghetto wetsuit repair was going to work. BTW - I got these De Soto bottoms back in 2010 before my first Ironman. 5 seasons later, I'd say that was worth my $$. The top was replaced last year before IM Tahoe.



yep - this happened.

duct tape fixes everything!

Swim {Then: 12:50 / Now: 10:38}
I remember large waves in '08 and a rather tough current pulling us south. This year, the waves weren't bad but it did take longer than expected to get to the first buoy. The current was pulling us a bit north and almost pushing us back to shore. The way back in was easy, but I never really had a wave to catch. The sand run was horrible both years. :) Wetsuit repair and stripping went as normal.

Bike {Then: 1:00.03 / Now: 53:58}
Not really a fair comparison. I had Felty back then, possibly with some aerobars by that point. Now, my position aboard Kermit, with my aerohelmet and fancy gadgets, I should be able to go faster than I managed. I just couldn't wake up. Any time my cadence went under 90, my power dropped. I had absolutely no "push" and had to just spin my way through the course. Average power was 15 watts lower than it should be and I just couldn't find the pop on the course this year. I had 1 Gu and 1 bottle of APX.

Run {Then: 26:54 / Now: 24:46}
Wow, that sucked. I remember the launch ramp being crappy, but not that crappy. I trudged my way up that incline and struggled through the rest of the run. Couldn't pick up my feet, and again, that elusive pop I felt in my legs during SDIT hasn't made an appearance since. I knew I was leading my age group and probably had enough of a lead to hang on for the W, but man, I couldn't shake the funk I was in.

Overall {Then: 1:39 / Now: 1:31}
I ended up 2nd overall female {1st AG} this year as the lack of local pro's and possibly a smaller field helped the competition ease up a bit, and hey, I'll take it. The trophy was an old ammo box with their logo spray painted on the side which was a neat touch and a good conversation piece for Moment's trophy mantle. Thanks to all the volunteers out there - this course is super safe, fun and well run. I'll definitely be back!




No comments: