Sunday, March 7, 2010

Desert Triathlon

Or were we in the rainforest? I'm not quite sure.

Rest week/Race week! What a change. 95 on the bike, 20 cranked out on the run, 1 measly swim mile. Under 10 hours. I cannot believe how fast this is going...yet how much more is left! 8 weeks, 2 more training blocks, 1 rest week and taper time. Now is when I have to dig in and get it done.A couple weeks ago the Triathlon Club of San Diego had the 2009 awards. I was very honored to be named the most improved female triathlete. I worked hard last year, coming back from injury even better than before...but I feel my time has yet to come. This year I can only hope to be better. Thanks to Coach Brian for the kind words...and so much more. He knows, I am putting in the time and now finally...seeing results.

Desert Triathlon Results:
4th AG, 13th Overall. 2:11.10
15:59 swim (2nd argh!)
1:06.16 bike (22.5 mph)
46:01 run (7:24/mile not really*)

Kyle and I arrived to the desert Saturday afternoon after a glorious morning of sleeping in and making french toast. Mmm. Checked in and headed to the campsite/race area. We met up with TCSD and LA Tri for a pasta dinner and back to camp to get set up. Tried our best to stay up past 9 so to get a good nights sleep. Had a nice campfire and jumped in the tents for a forecast of rain. Woke up to grey skies, but not a drip of rain all night. Sweet.Made our way to transition, set up and hung out. The sprint waves started an hour ahead of the international; annoying. No pictures to document, but Kyle set up the camp stove and made me oatmeal, in transition area. It was awesome! I love my sherpa. :)
Wetsuit on and ready to go. 8:36 and my wave was off. Not an eventful swim. Not hard, not easy. It was the usual run over the wave(s) ahead of us, turn the buoys, swim hard, find people to draft off, fail, find people drafting off me, turn buoy, hammer in. Run like hell to the timing mat, where I'm sure I'll get beat anyway. Why do they include run times during the swim?
Took Kermit out for a little spin. The rain started, and it didn't stop. Tried to keep pace during the ride. The wind wasn't bad at all. Pelting rain was a different story. It was a very flat/fast course despite the wet conditions. Had a gu and 200cal drink. But seriously, rain. Again? It's not even epic anymore. I think it'd be epic if it was sunny for once.
Kermit parked and Garmin on. Out for a couple loops around the lake and running. I felt good. For the first time ever, I felt good and almost great while running. I was shocking myself, and wondering when it was going to end, and how long I could hold this pace (that was faster than the coach and I agreed upon). Well it didn't end. *Pace according to the results was 7:24, but the run was short. Garmin came in at 5.78 miles (7:58pace). 8:15 was the goal pace. :) I was happy after the race. Not puking. So I guess I didn't try hard enough. :) But in all seriousness, it was a great race. Almost perfect actually. Looking forward to racing this distance with appropriate training. I had a rest week, but it was probably longer than a normal week for non-Ironman training.A big wet mess to pick up.
Rain. Transition area was soaked. Towel weighed 10lbs. Walked back to the car to get into some dry clothes, pack up, head out and get some food.
Thank you thank you Kyle, for yet again sherpa'ing me through a rainy adventure. Congrats to all the TCSD'ers out there! And thanks again for the award. :)

1 comment:

Stacy said...

You rocked it girl! Can't wait to see you destroy IM St. George!