Monday, April 26, 2010

In the Beginning

Dates and numbers. All coming together. I'm not sure if I've said this before, but I'm kind of superstitious. In middle school and high school I used to wish every day at 11:11 that I would become the MN state backstroke champion. My Junior year (11th grade) the section meet was on 11/11/00, and State Finals were 11/22/00. My senior year, I won.

I carry on the Rocky IV tradition. I get new goggles for big swim meets (or triathlons). I put in new contacts. So naturally, I googled my Ironman number. #122. This is what came up:

The 122nd volume of the Iron Man comic. Tag-lined with "In the Beginning"Which got me thinking about my beginnings in triathlon. It just so happens, that on the weekend anniversary of my first triathlon, 2 years ago, I will be competing in my first Ironman. My life has changed significantly since that amazing day. I competed in the Super Sprint on May 4, 2008. I finished a 200m swim, 7 mile bike, 1.5 mile run. It took me 42 minutes and 59 seconds. The swim of my Ironman will take longer than that entire race. My goal was to run the entire run, which I did and I ended up winning my age group and taking 10th overall (male and female). Now I will be attempting a 2.4 mile swim, a 112 mile bike, and a 26.2 mile run. And my goal is to finish. With a smile on my face.

The 22nd episode of the Iron Man cartoon (production #122) was titled "Don't Worry, Be Happy" which is my focus this week. I'm trying not to worry, and yeah being happy is pretty easy. I think I've passed the phantom pains part of taper, and the taper blues. It's happy taper time, and I'm on vacation as of Wednesday afternoon!

My last brick is over (here I am on Soledad). My last ocean swim is swum. (with dolphins! it was amazing). My bags are packed (okay, halfway packed).

I'm ready. Excitement brewing... #122. Five more sleeps.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

You ARE ready! Wishing you tons of fun and lots of laughs this weekend. I'll be thinking about you! You're gonna rock this Ironamn thing!

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

So excited to watch you go. You have been such a inspiration to the rest of us. Can't wait to read your race report.

GoBigGreen said...

Ok I just saw your blog bc I was stalking St. George racers and saw you lived in MN! Woohoo!
And good for you to move to SanDiego:)
Congrats on St. George, that sounds like a TOUGH race!