Saturday, June 14, 2008

June Club Race 08

Hmm, well better than expected. :)
-dropped 4.5 min from last month (not official results)
-most of which was on the bike
-suffered more on the run
-are my back issues back?
-delusional in transition

Swim-mass start oh how I love you. Weed report: hurray! high tide so I didn't touch one weed the entire race. Draft report: a girl was on my a$$ the entire swim and I didn't notice until the last 100 yards...no wonder I felt different. However, my lungs felt great the entire race. My right quad felt tight, which I'm sure I can equate with being a beginner runner-more to come. My left shoulder blade, which has troubled me for 8 years, is starting to bother me again. I think I need to find a chiropractor/massage therapist. The swim finished strong however, and my breathing was under control.

T1 was ok; they moved the timing mats while we were swimming so I was all confused as to where my setup was and where I was supposed to head out. The drafter was out before me, as she had her shoes preclipped on her bike. I'll have to try that out sometime in practice.

Bike-good. I felt better. I felt like I was actually in a race rather than on my Sunday stroll. It took longer for the mass to start passing me. I rode with my chain in the 3rd (big) gear the entire race. Notes: I need to work on my cadence and power=I need to work on my bike. :) My right quad was acting up and my attempts to keep my legs even were not going well. As I learn to understand my legs I'm sure it will only get faster. I also felt like my seat was too low when I was riding on my aero bars. Hmm, maybe JT is right; it's harder to use aero bars on a road bike. I'll have to play around with that adjustment. -side note, I got stuck at a red light for a while...and I didn't in the last race.

T2-are you kidding me? I had no idea where my stuff was as the confusion of the timing mat movement got me again. I think I dumped my bike, ran in a big circle, and then finally found my tie-die towel (I love that home-made towel; go Sioux Girls!). Bethany had caught up with me by this time (stop light fiasco) and so graciously reminded me (and her) to remove our helmets before heading out on the run.

Run-hmm...brick workouts=necessity. Well, running in general is necessary. Seriously, that first mile is, for lack of a better word, a B****! Short strides, long strides, nothing works. It all hurts. Mile 2, better. Ok, I'm getting used to this. Then I feel skin pain in the back of my right ankle; lovely my timing chip is digging into my Achilles tendon, blood, nice. Stop, bend over, adjust, stand up, dizzy, ok now run. :) In the last mile I only let 1 girl pass me (most of them passed me in the first mile). So I tried out her stride (wow was it long!) but couldn't keep up. I did hear someone at the finish, so I put on the afterburners and no one blew past me at the finish line, thank goodness.

T3-food. yummy. nuf said.

So overall, a better race. I finished somewhere in the 10-15th range (i'm guessing) with a bigger field. (14th last race) I was the 2nd person out of the water, 1st female. I swam at the Cove last night without a wetsuit which was cold at first, but it ended up being a great swim. 5 or so women passed me on the bike, and about 5-10 more on the run. I think my quad was acting up because I ran this Wednesday and Thursday morning after masters. Which wouldn't be an issue for a normal runner, but that was the only running I did since the last race. Hmm; motivation? Yes. I'm still figuring out my workout schedule and I realize that I finally have to put in the pain of running to stop having running pains.

And, for the grand finale----ta da! A new bike trainer! Performance was having a huge sale today so Bethany and I headed over to the shop on Midway and found a great deal on the CycleOps fluid trainer. (normally $320, got it for $195) I got it all set up and I'm excited for my first test ride. I told my mom it's my Christmas present. Thanks Santa!

No comments: